Elder and Sister Darton
PO Box 310
Nauvoo, IL 62354

Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The Pageant

I can't believe the The Pageant is over. I have been wanting to write and share and the weeks have flown by and now it's over. We live about 2 blocks from the stage. It has been so fun to live so close and hear their rehearsals and every night at 10:08 I hear The Spirit of God as I am falling to sleep. The Pageant is the story of old Nauvoo, Joseph and Emma and the saints that lived here, their joys and their trials, their sacrifices and the spirit that they felt and that still dwells here in the streets of old Nauvoo. The actors and actresses are so good and do an amazing job of playing the characters like Parley P Pratt, John Taylor, Brigham Young, all their wives and of course Joseph Smith and Emma. A huge part of the story is the building of the temple, as it progresses through the show I can't believe I am sitting their watching it and that the next morning I will be working in that temple that they sacrificed so much to build. (yes I realize its not the same temple but in a way it is). People here talk about Nauvoo miracles or Nauvoo moments well the weather has definitely been one of the Nauvoo miracles. I would say about 80% of the days it either rains, is suppose to rain or rains Sunday and Monday (no shows those days), or rains hard all night after The Pageant is over but the show has never been rained out. The only night they have had to cancel it was the very first dress rehearsal of the month. The next 2 nights it rained a bit but not enough to cancel it. (we were actually at those two rainy performances. We have seen it 6 times, 2 in the rain and 2 in hot humid weather and 2 in perfect weather. What I am getting at is The Pageant is protected from rain. If you haven't ever been to Nauvoo I would highly recommend coming to The Pageant (yes it's only in July and yes July is HOT). It is something I think we will come back to for many years. Anyway, I will post some pictures and maybe a video and you can get a little hint of what its like.


John Taylor in front of the fabric and wood temple they construct on stage.

Joseph tell some children about the first vision.

John Taylor and his wife at a sociable, dancing.

Parley P Pratt, the main character, as he narrate most of the pageant.

No comments: