Elder and Sister Darton
PO Box 310
Nauvoo, IL 62354

Thursday, June 17, 2010

I Love Ironing

I have always HATED ironing. I stink at ironing. I would rather just wear something wrinkled. When I was in high school one of my mom's friends hired me to come and help her around the house. One of the first days she took me to her laundry room and showed me a HUGE stack of laundry, said to me, "you can just do this ironing today". I don't think I had ever ironed anything in my life except maybe sewing projects. Anyway, I spent 4 or 5 hours ironing and the next day she called my mom and said, "you haven't ever taughter her to iron"? I am sure my mom had but I just didn't want to learn. When Tom and I got married he informed me he didn't like to send his shirts to the dry cleaners because they ruined his buttons and so I was going to have to do it. Well, I'm no dummy I did an exaggerated bad job and he has been ironing his own shirts ever since. Well, here at the Nauvoo Temple, we work in the laundry almost everyday. There is A LOT of laundry generated because so many visitors come and they don't bring their clothes they just rent, plus the baptistry goes at about 100 youth per day. Anyway, my first day I was assigned to laundry the laundry coordinator asked me if I would like to iron. I am thinking to myself not in a million years but its the temple and I have to do whatever I am asked right? So, I say SURE!! She takes me over to this AWESOME iron that has buttons and levers and releases and it makes all these cool noises. In case you didn't know this about me I like all the little techy noises that machines make (like my dishwashers that make a cool noise every time I open them). So I am loving ironing. I told the coordinator I may have to get one for Tom for Christmas. She said well first you will need to get a boiler in your basement. I told her well, first I will need to get a basement. Here is a picture, sorry I can't get sound effects with it, that's half the coolness.

4 comments:

Curious Works said...

lol, i feel the same way you do about ironing...i have a basement, but am missing the boiler so I guess I'm out of luck.

MiMi said...

I actually do love to iron! I am with Tom, sending them out ruins many parts of the shirt.

MiMi said...

I forgot to congrat you late you on your new assignment, that is awesome!

MiMi said...

Ummm, I do not know what I was doing when I wrote the previous comment. I meant to say congratulations on your new assignment!