Elder and Sister Darton
PO Box 310
Nauvoo, IL 62354

Sunday, May 23, 2010

1 Month

Well, we have been here in Nauvoo exactly 1 month. The time has flown by, as I knew it would. Each day seems to bring a new adventure, new friends, new experiences, a greater appreciation for the early saints and an increased testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith and the restored gospel of Jesus Christ.

Yesterday was the first day of beautiful weather. I don't know the temperature but it was hot and humid. Although I have been loving the rain, it was fun to have a hot day (more rain is coming). After working in the temple for our first really busy day (250+ patrons by 1:00 pm) we came home changed our clothes and I took off on a little adventure looking for a near by campground. I soon realized I shouldn't ever leave home without water, but I wasn't about to drink out of a tap or drinking fountain. The water here is Nasty. I survived and got in a good hour long walk. I found the campground and I wouldn't recommend it. However, if any of you that thought you might come see us are serious please let me know. I am working on some group discount accommodations.

Today after church we had dinner with our downstairs neighbors and 4 sister missionaries. Our neighbors are the nicest people. I think I have mentioned how lucky we are to have gotten this building with them. It's like having my parents next door, they take such good care of us. They are from Fillmore, UT and work in the Manti Temple. Their names are Annette and Abe Johnson and just like Tom and I they met in Cedar City and got married in St. George.


Here is a picture of them walking down our street. You can see our apt. building is behind them and a little to the left, you can just see a little red brick between the trees. We have TONS of trees. (click on the picture and it will get bigger)

Anyway as soon as we got done with dinner we headed back to church (I have never attended so many church things in my life) and listened to yet another FANTASTIC lecture, talk, presentation I don't know what to call it (Tom reminded me its called a "sociable" but that doesn't really define what she does it's like a fireside), by Susan Easton Black. The woman has a gigantic brain or something, she knows SO MUCH and the stories she tells are just amazing and she knows the history of Nauvoo like it were her own life story. When she got done I went up to the front of the chapel to thank her (we were sitting way at the back) and the Young Performing missionaries were gathered around (one of their moms was visiting) and they did an impromptu song for her. It was so beautiful and immediately brought a sweet spirit to the chapel. I think we are in for a real treat this summer as they perform daily.

I will have to say by the end of last week and 5 straight days of working in the temple 7-8 hours I was EXHAUSTED. However, we continue to LOVE it here and embrace each experience and can't wait to see what each day brings.

No comments: