Elder and Sister Darton
PO Box 310
Nauvoo, IL 62354

Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Geode Hunting

A couple of Saturdays ago one of the missionaries that is a geologist planned a geode hunt. He gave us all kinds of information to study on the layers of earth and the mississippi layer and region and what kind of geode we would find and what might be in them but to be honest with you I didn't really get most of it and I was really just there for the adventure.
Tom didn't want to come on the adventure so I was the only missionary that went without my husband. When we got to the place we were going to dig all the men started digging and the women were just holding the bucket. I, on the other hand, am right there in line with all the men, whacking with my shovel, oh and my purple rubber kitchen gloves. They said to wear gloves and they were the only ones I had so it was pretty funny, they were all making fun of the city girl. Anyway, I worked quite a while by myself with just a shovel then the archeologist missionary came to help me and he gave me a chisel and hammer. I ended up getting about 20 geodes, most of them are small. There was a man there onsite to crack the rocks open so I had him crack about 5 of mine. All in all it was a blast and I got to wear jeans, and play in the mud. I was filthy and loved every minute of it. I also got some really cool object lessons about not judging people from their outward appearance but its what's inside that counts. I ended up the only person to have found a geode with Barite. The rock cutting guy got all excited and said it was so cool that I found one. In reality I could barely tell the barite from the rest of the crystals. All in all a good time was had by all. Here is a picture of my geodes that I cut open. If I get any other pictures from someone I will add them later.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Julie,
All your adventures keep me entertained!!! Who would have thought you were a geode hunter? Love it!!!!! Way to go girl!!